Known as the “Live Music Capital of the World,” Austin, Texas, is a city packed with culture and diversity.
To say that this lively city is a fun place to be, couldn’t be more of an understatement, as it offers something for everyone. From exploring historical landmarks detailing the fascinating past of the Texas state capital, to eating your way through the first-class restaurant scene, to visiting one of the many annual festivals, or attending an Austin University like South University, Austin — life in Austin is truly never dull.
In fact, Austin prides itself on being weird. The city’s unofficial slogan is, “Keep Austin Weird.” Residents embrace the eclectic nature of their city and take pleasure in the fact that it’s a unique place to live and go to school.
South University, Austin
South University, Austin is less than 20 miles north of the city’s eclectic downtown area. The small campus fosters a tight-knit community, giving students the opportunity to get to know their classmates. Small class sizes also allow instructors to know their students by name and offer personalized attention.
South University, Austin has a wide-variety of associate’s, bachelor’s, and master’s degree programs offered by the College of Business and College of Arts & Sciences.
We’ve recently added a new Physical Therapist Assistant associate’s degree to our program offerings. The PTA program prepares students to become physical therapist assistants with high standards of professional practice and conduct, and may be completed in eight quarters.
Other undergraduate degree programs offered at South University, Austin include:
• Accounting Associate of Science (AS)
• Business Administration Associate of Science (AS)
• Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA)
• Criminal Justice Associate of Science (AS)
• Criminal Justice Bachelor of Science (BS)
• Healthcare Management Bachelor of Science (BS)
• Information Technology Associate of Science (AS)
• Information Technology Bachelor of Science (BS)
• Legal Studies Bachelor of Science (BS)
• Physical Therapist Assistant Associate of Science (AS)
• Psychology Bachelor of Arts (BA)
South University also offers the following graduate programs at South University, Austin:
• Master of Business Administration (MBA)
• Clinical Mental Health Counseling Master of Arts (MA)
• Criminal Justice Master of Science (MS)
• Information Systems & Technology Master of Science (MS)
South University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award associate, baccalaureate, masters, and doctorate degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404.679.4501 for questions about the accreditation of South University.
South University, Austin holds a Certificate of Authorization acknowledging exemption from Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board regulations.
Things to Do
Austin offers so many things to do that the city’s official website even warns visitors they might have to make a return trip to experience it all! Residents and students in Austin certainly never find themselves without something to do in their free time. Some of the most popular leisurely activities include:
- Live Music Scene: Aptly dubbed the “Live Music Capital of the World,” the city offers music for every taste including rock, blues, jazz, hip hop, punk, and Latino. There are shows every night of the week, at approximately 200 different venues, according to the city’s official website.
- Outdoor Life: Shape Magazine ranked Austin as the 10th Fittest City in America, because residents love to make use of the fantastic climate and gorgeous natural surroundings. With 220 parks in the area, popular activities include running on outdoor trails, cycling, kayaking, and even just heading out for a long, relaxing stroll.
- Art: Home to a vibrant arts scene, the city is filled with museums, galleries, and art spaces filled with a wide variety of work from local talent to internationally known artists.
- Wineries: Many people are surprised to learn that Texas is home to a number of wineries — in fact there are approximately 30 of them within driving distance of Austin! Visit the wineries, enjoy some fine Texas wine, and even take one of the five themed self-guided wine trail tours offered.
- Shopping: Austin’s shop local approach to fashion encourages unique one-of-a-kind looks. Locally owned boutiques, shops, and other businesses in the 2nd Street District provide retail therapy not found anywhere else in the country. Other stores in the city like ByGeorge, Adelante, and those on South Congress (otherwise known as SoCo) are filled with a mixture of items from popular national brands and others from local designers.
- Festivals: Countless festivals are held in the city each year, including the Austin Wine & Food Festival, the Keep Austin Weird Festival & 5K, the Republic of Texas Biker Rally, and perhaps the most well-known of them all, South by Southwest (SXSW). The latter — known as the biggest music, film, and interactive event of the year — draws more than 30,000 visitors to the city each March.
Not only is Austin a fun city to live in, it also boasts a very pleasant, mild climate all throughout the year. According to AustinTexas.org, the average temperature is 68.5 degrees. With temperatures like that, you’re always able to get out and enjoy everything the city has to offer!
Forbes ranked this Texas state capital as 2013’s fastest growing city in the country, making it the third year straight Austin has received this distinction. Factors like steady population and job growth, a low unemployment rate, and a rapidly expanding economy helped to boost the city to the number one spot. The Milken Institute also ranked the Austin-Round Rock area in the number two spot on its 2012 Best-Performing Cities Index.
Healthy grocer Whole Foods has chosen the city as the site of its corporate headquarters. In addition, many tech companies have also chosen to make Austin their home or at least to have operations in the city, that it’s been dubbed “the Silicon Hills.” Some of these companies include Dell, IBM, Google, Eaton, Blizzard Entertainment, Xerox, Sun Microsystems, and it’s the future home of Apple’s America’s Operations Center.
Author: Laura Jerpi